There are a few things you need to know before you take the leap with your first tandem paragliding experience. Whether you’re taking off from Signal Hill, Lions Head or one of our touring flying sites, there are a few essentials that you’ll need to prepare for. For example, you’ll need to ensure that you’ve packed in and organised all of the right clothing and equipment for your adventure into the sky.
Here are a few critical elements to take note of:
- All pilots and flyers need to be in good health and weigh less than 120kg’s.
- If you’re younger than 18 years old then you’ll need to arrange consent from your parents or legal guardians. Please ensure that you are able to provide a written letter of consent.
- It’s very important that you always bring along and apply sunscreen, the African sun can be extremely unforgiving and you can easily burn or even get sunstroke if you’re not careful.
- Similarly, definitely bring with a cap or a hat that is secure and that will shield your head from the harsh rays of the sun.
- When preparing your clothing, regardless of how hot the weather seems, you should wear (or bring along) long pants and a warm top for the flight. It tends to get frosty while you’re in the air.
- When it comes to footwear, hiking boots or sneakers are preferable. It’s very important that you do not wear open shoes, sandals, slops or high-heels of any kind – these are not permitted by SAHPA protocols.
- Once your flight is over, you’ll be returned to the start point, usually near where you parked to meet-up for the take-off.
- How long you will be in the air is always dependant on varying weather conditions. Usually the length of the experience can take up to 30 minutes.
The paragliding Cape Town team is made up of only the best Tandem Paragliding Flight Instructor Rated pilots. Grant, who owns the company, has over 25 years of experience in paragliding and also flies aircraft. He specialises in teaching advanced paragliding (SIV) to other pilots in the community. All safety procedures are followed stringently and novices are talked through every component of their experience during a tandem adventure. We also provide training and courses for those who are keen on getting into paragliding as a full time sport.
We are only too glad to assist with making you feel rest assured that you will have a great time in Cape Town while paragliding.
Contact us for more information, especially if you’d like to talk through every step of the journey that you need to know about when taking to the sky in a paraglider.